Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Welcome to My Garden Journal!

About this time last year I got a bite from the Garden Bug. I had never had a vegetable garden before, but I was armed with the internet... and do you really need anything else? I started with a small plot - just 4x8 - and I proceeded to haphazardly cram it with anything I thought would grow. I was inexperienced, to say the least, but the garden was relatively kind and it rewarded me with some very yummy treats... enough to make me impatient to get things growing again!

This year I'm determined to plan the garden a little better - and to actually keep records. I'll be expanding, but in containers. We have a certain neighbor who threatened to report me to the HOA board for putting in a "permanent raised bed" without signatures from them (which they kindly refused to provide in the future). Containers aren't permanent, so....

Throughout the rest of the week, I'll post about the seeds I've chosen, garden plans, and how in the world am I gonna start those seeds anyway? If there are any gardening experts out there, what material do you use to start seeds (peat pellets, soiless mix, etc)??

3 comments:

Erin said...

For your first time, I would just get one of those seedling trays with cover, heat mat (the plant kind!), and a simple shop light. You can go crazy easily, but you will have good success with just this! I use a basic seed starting pre-packaged mix, but this year I may mix my own just because I now I am a crazy person and I start so many that it is more cost efficient to do it this way! I will be starting some in the next week and will probably post about it, too. Good luck, and look forward to seeing your spring garden! --Don't get me started on HOA, I refuse to move anywhere that has one! I don't envy you having to deal with them but at the same time I hope you find every loophole you can, girl! Yay for containers!

And Sow My Garden Grows said...

Came across your blog and I'm really enjoying it! I just started to blog/journal my garden as well. I'm looking forward to reading more about your garden - keep up the great work!

Sarah

http://andsowmygardengrows.blogspot.com/

Caffeinated Mom said...

Hi Sarah - thanks so much for stopping by! I'm glad to hear you like things so far - hopefully I can keep gardening entertaining.. I'm heading over to check out your blog now - can't wait to see what you're up to!

CM