Monday, February 1, 2010

Oh, dear...

I had a busy day today (surprise, surprise) and I thought I'd hit the sack early tonight. Before I headed upstairs, I went to check on my seedlings - maybe give them a little drink and turn off their light (you know, tuck them in good and proper). I was amazed at the growth in one day. Check out my amazonian peas:





Aren't they beautiful? Well.. don't look now, but I don't think they're going to make it. I still need to get my planters ready - I was NOT ready for this:





Oh, dear. I'm new at seed starting, but something tells me they won't survive the transplant - and our temperatures haven't warmed up as fast as they normally do. I might be restarting (or just direct sowing) my peas this year. I won't give up on these babies yet, though..

I took the dome off the top of the tray for the night (for the first time). The heat mat is still on - hopefully they'll still be happy!

4 comments:

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Oh, Amazonian sized peas! Seems they're aptly named! If your weather isn't quite warm enough once your planters are ready, you could try using the Wall-o-water insulating covers (aka Tomato teepees available at Gardener's Supply), or perhaps a floating row cover? Otherwise, might be worth just trying to transplant a few into a larger pot until you're ready to move them outside. Good luck!

Annie's Granny said...

I'd get them off the heat mat, peas like cool, even cold, weather. They do need the lights for growth, but I'd move them to where it's really cool for about 12 hours a day, which should slow the growth but make them stronger. If it were me, I'd snip those long roots off at the cell bottom! I've never grown peas any way other than direct sowing, so take my advice for what it's worth, which is about 2-cents ;-)

Erin said...

lol, I was wondering if you had a place ready for them! I have never heard of starting them inside, just because we can start them outside at the beginning of Feb here, they like it cold! You could always train the vines around your house for easy pickins! :)

Caffeinated Mom said...

Hi guys - and welcome Curbstone Valley Farm! Sorry I've been MIA this week... boy has it been a tough one! Thank you for all the suggestions. To be quite honest, I hadn't planned on starting the pea seeds indoors, but my son was anxious and we had a few to spare. I'll probably direct sow some next to the seedlings for comparison sake. What a fun experiment!! Anyway, more on that when I actually post something tomorrow. Thanks again for stopping by - and for the great advice!