Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Surprise!!

After I was done with the lettuce and pea transplants last weekend, I thought I'd amend my sole veggie bed with some compost and blood meal. I plan to use the bed for several different varieties of squash this summer. This is what my sad, sad bed looks like:








Gotta love the abandoned watering can... I actually think that was used as a snow toy. Yes, we southerners are deprived of proper cold-weather toys.

But what's that? Something caught my eye:




Let's get a closer look..




And another...





More?




Upon realizing what I had witnessed, I ran into the house screaming like a madwoman for my family to come view my discovery. I don't think they appreciated the interruption.. But I bet you get it!! See, last year I planted some red onion bulbs that never did anything.. I thought I'd dug them all up. However, in the same spot, I'd also planted some scallions from seed. Do you think these are scallions? Or red onions?


And what should I do with them? I have a few options, but space is running at a premium:

1) Dig up the mysterious sprouts now and proceed with my plans to till and amend the bed.

2) Let them grow until it's time to plant the squash, then harvest what's there, and fill their places with more squash.

3) Leave the onions alone, then fertilize and plant squash around them. Maybe I'll be able to add a few onions to my harvest this fall..


Cast your vote (on the right) and let me know!

6 comments:

And Sow My Garden Grows said...

I get the excitement here! Last year to my surprise we had the same thing happen - only with a watermelon from that was not only planted the year before but produced nothing. We let it ramble away in the garden naturally and were rewarded with the sweetest watermelon ever! I vote for 3 - plant around it and let it run it's course. Onions do not take up a lot of room - especially if just a few :) If it's red - you will see red towards the bottom green near soil (mine is showing red now)

Annie's Granny said...

If this was my only garden, and space was at a premium, I would carefully dig them out, then replant them where I wanted them to grow, or in a large pot. I buy green onions at the grocers and plant them this way all the time. You can trim the tops back a bit, they usually die back a bit anyway, and use the tops as you would chives. Now, if you don't mind where they are growing, just let them be and plant around them.

Erin said...

they look a little thick to be scallions at this stage, maybe the onions just decided conditions were right - they are notoriously hard to start from seed, maybe nature just decided for you! I would plant around them, I plant around my garlic all the time since they are cool weather plants, the other plants will help shade them and give them a little more time in the ground when it starts to really warm up. congrats! And the abandoned watering can is so sad it's funny!

Caffeinated Mom said...

Thanks for the tips, everyone.. I'm still on the fence, but I think I'm leaning towards transplanting them to a pot. I'm worried about how well they'll handle the transplant, but also worried that the squashes will completely overrun them (they're amazingly scattered about the bed - nowhere near where I initially planted them). Any final thoughts or tips?

Annie's Granny said...

They should do fine. Just remember that some die back is inevitable, but new leaves will shoot up soon. I'm going to dig all of mine up tomorrow and transport them 1200 miles for replanting!

And Sow My Garden Grows said...

I've had no problems what so ever with transplanting garlic - so if the onions transplant as well you should be fine. Good luck!