Saturday, March 20, 2010

If you aren't familiar with seven year old boys...

...you might want to skip this post. It's definitely off topic, but I promise to get back to garden updates tomorrow.

My son is a very sweet boy and a very hard worker, to boot. He is wonderful in math, but is having a little trouble with reading and writing. The other night while my husband was out, Caleb and I were coloring and drawing, and we decided to leave a message for my husband who would be returning after we went to bed. I went with a generic "We love you!". You can imagine my surprise when Caleb churned this out, without any help:




Let's get a little closer:





"I hop dat you fart!" Translation: I hope that you fart!



Okay, so it's not a typical greeting... and the only four letter word he spelled correctly was slightly offensive.. But like any mother would do, I congratulated him for the effort, let him know just how proud I was, and asked him to please not do that at school because I'm certain the next time I'm there, I'll hear "Oh, that's Caleb's mom!" Cross your fingers for me, please.

6 comments:

Nell Jean said...

I haven't had a 7 y.o. boy in the house in more than 30 years, but I remember what it's like!

Well, wait, there was the grandson, whom I offered to let 'chat' before texting was fashionable. He typed, 'Your stupid' to my friend who fortunately had some little boys at one time, too. I don't remember which upset me more: his rudeness or his error in pronouns.

Annie's Granny said...

That is so cute and funny! I still have a note on my refrigerator that my (now 16-year old) granddaughter wrote when she was seven: "Grandme wen the bolgame is ovre met me in the cichin". She came up with some real dillies, many of which I kept in a journal. I'll embarrass her with them some day.

Sunny said...

That is too funny!...I miss the days when my kids were little....never a dull moment :)

Erin said...

Oh yes, 7 year old boys... I have one myself! And another 5 year old waiting in the wings... life is never dull, that's for sure!

And Sow My Garden Grows said...

Our 4 year old boy says Fart all the time. I guess my dream of it dropping out of his vocabulary by 7 may not come true :)

Annelie said...

Hi,
Love your post. I have a 7, and an 8 1/2 year old. Very familiar with the sense of humor. Unfortunately, for my husband, I still have a bit of potty humor. And that's how I laughed at your post and thought your son's message was a blast. Also think that you have a sense of humor. "Let's get a little closer"