Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Weed or Seed?

Let's play a little game! I have lots and lots of unknown sprouts in my veggie bed. I'm trying to figure out if they're seeds that never sprouted from last year, or if they're little "gifts" from the trees that surround our property. Last year, I planted a variety of mixed lettuces and lots of herbs that never sprouted, so they very well could be tasty veggies-in-progress, but I have a feeling some stinkers are floating around in there too. Won't you lend your expertise and tell me: Weed or Seed?


Here is Case #1 - These single-leaf seedlings are popping up ALL OVER the bed. They don't seem to be growing very fast, but they're everywhere:




This is Case #2 - There are only a few of these guys and I suspect weeds. Sorry the photo isn't better (still trying to learn the tricks to my point and shoot), but there are two leaves and the outer sides of the leaves are a deep red color. See all those little green leaves peaking out of the mulch? More of Case #1. So - what do you think of Case #2:




Case #3 - These are beginning to sprout throughout the bed.. They're all green and the tips are rather frilly:




And last but not least, Case #4. I've only seen one of these so far, and I'm pretty sure this is a lettuce. There are three green leaves - what do you think?

5 comments:

Annie's Granny said...

I agree.

:-D

Really, I haven't a clue. The last one does look like lettuce.

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

I'm delighted by this post, because I always want to ask these same questions.

Caffeinated Mom said...

LOL - Glad I'm not alone in my confusion!! :-)

Granny - Blogger lost your comment (this is happening a lot lately, huh?).. Here it is:

"I agree.

:-D

Really, I haven't a clue. The last one does look like lettuce. "

And Sow My Garden Grows said...

The last one does look like lettuce - I agree. Not so sure on the rest of those little sprouts. I can't tell you how many times my purposely planted seeds fell victim to me thinking they were weeds!

Erin said...

I have those all over, but not in my raised beds, so I might go with weed! Although I do have a gazillion sprouts in my beds that I think are dill, they are notorious for easy sprouting and I didn't do a great job harvesting it before it went to seed and went everywhere!