Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Feeling Disappointed

“Our desires always disappoint us; for though we meet with something that gives us satisfaction, yet it never thoroughly answers our expectation.” - Elbert Hubbard


On the heels of yesterday's harvest photos, I'm feeling a little blue this morning. You see, that harvest was from the transplants I purchased from the local hardware store. It does look like I'll get one or two more salads out of them, but that will probably be it. I planted dozens and dozens of greens seeds - buttercrunch, a looseleaf mix, even pak choi - and even though they've germinated, they aren't growing. I've tried giving them full sun, partial sun, more water, less water, fish emulsion. Nothing seems to be working - and I think they're doomed to spend eternity as tiny little sprouts. The same thing seems to be happening with my carrots. They've sprouted, but just won't grow. Our high temperatures have been in the low 80's. Perhaps that's the reason?

I was really looking forward to more crisp, fresh salads straight from the garden, and I was hoping to offset some of this year's garden costs with lettuce harvests, as we eat salads at least once a week. Is there anything else I can try? Is there any hope?

6 comments:

Ribbit said...

Just stick them out and don't fret over them. They'll take a long time to put on any bulk, but they'll sure enough give you enough. My lettuce seems to grow agonizingly slow which is why your sucession planting of them is a good thing. Just leave them be and you'll be fine in a few weeks.

And Sow My Garden Grows said...

I'm agree. Stick them in the pot or ground and see what happens. I have never had luck with lettuce this time of year but people grow it all year so with your temps in the shade should be fine - (?) I saw some amazing lettuce at our local nursery on Sunday. It was tall, green, crispy & healthy looking and multi variety too. It was growing out of one of their soil bags that they split open on the top and they planted right in it. I wish I had luck like that - seems effortless! Good luck and hang in there lettuce!

Erin said...

Me three! My seedlings were growing well until transplanted and now although they seem "stuck" you can tell they just "look stronger". It does take quite awhile but once you are off to the races you will be able to cut from them every night. good luck! In the event that you do get too much heat (90's), give "Heatwave Lettuce" a try. That stuff produces for me without wilting in the heat and humidity here

Annie's Granny said...

If it gets too hot for them, provide them with a little shade....a lawn chair set over them works, or a bit of lattice. Lots of things are agonizingly slow. Radishes are supposed to mature in 28 days, mine are just barely getting their true leaves at one month. Slow, slow, slow, then suddenly they all wake up and grow like gangbusters! Patience, dear. Patience.

Somerlyn said...

I am having the same problem and I think it has more to do with the angle of the sun. When the little seeds are in the ground and the temps are warm they sprout but then don't get the right amount of sun to really grow. Sometimes we can't outsmart Mother Nature. Just a thought since we're all having the same problem. I'm up in Wisconsin.

Caffeinated Mom said...

Thanks for all the input, everyone! When I did my daily garden check last night, I THINK I may have seen some growth. I should really start taking weekly photos to track any progress, but it would probably still be difficult to see any big changes in the two little leaves on each sprout (still only 2 leaves each - and they're tiny!).

I think I'm going to give them an extra dose of diluted fish emulsion this week to see if that helps. My transplants got another dose on Saturday and I can already see significant growth.

Thanks again - and I'm glad to see I'm not the only impatient one out there!